The New York State STOP-DWI Association held their annual meeting on October 16th, 2017 at the Highway Safety Symposium in Niagara Falls, NY.
Elections were held and congratulations are in order for the following individuals who will be taking office on January 1, 2018:
- Suzanne Cirencione, Ontario County – Chairperson
- Lt. Robert Richards, Niagara County – Vice Chairperson
- Thomas Giruzzi, Oneida County – Secretary
- Robert Lighthall, Oswego County – Treasurer
- Shr. Barry Virts, Wayne County – Western Region Chair
- Colleen Grebleski, Chemung County – Central Region Chair
- William Johnson, Dutchess County – Mid-Hudson Region Chair
- Sheryl Hutton, Lewis County – North Country Region Chair
- Chris Mistron, Nassau County – Metro Region Chair
New York State STOP-DWI Association, Inc. was established to assist counties in carrying out the mandate of V & T 1197, enacted in 1981, to reduce the incidence of alcohol/drug-related crashes, and the deaths and injuries that result. It is comprised of the STOP-DWI Coordinator from each county and the City of New York. The Association’s sole purpose is to represent the interests of County STOP-DWI programs on a statewide basis and to provide a mechanism for Coordinators to exchange ideas and collectively discuss and act upon mutual objectives and/or problems, develop innovative solutions and to advocate for public policy to further the goals of the NYS STOP-DWI Program that is funded wholly by fines collected from convicted drivers. This collaboration of enforcement, prosecution, education, public awareness and rehabilitation has resulted in significant progress in reducing alcohol/drug impaired driving, crashes, injuries and fatalities. In fact, New York State now boasts that the chances of being killed by a drunk/impaired driver has been reduced by 70%.